The historic Smurthwaite House, designed by James M. Creighton
and built in 1897 for $2875, is an excellent example of Shingle style architecture.
In addition to the Rosson
House, it is one of the few remaining nineteenth-century buildings
Originally intended for use as a boarding house, it was sold in 1903
to Captain Trustrim Connell and his wife Anne as a private residence. In
1938, Anne Connell deeded the house to Caroline Smurthwaite, whose husband
Charles was a collector and dealer in Native American art. Their daughter
Carolann owned the house until her death in 1982, when her will requested
that it be preserved and enjoyed by the public.
house was donated jointly to the Phoenix Art Museum, The Museum of
Northern Arizona and the Heard Museum. The three museums then
offered it to the City of Phoenix, which currently maintains the house
and the Pioneer & Military Memorial Park adjacent to it.
In 1991, the Heritage Fund approved a grant of $50,000
to restore Smurthwaite House. In 1994, the 3000-square-foot
dwelling made a landmark journey of 26 city blocks from its original
site at 602 North Seventh Street to its current location at 1317 West
Jefferson Street. Restoration work began in May, 1998, and was
completed in June, 2001. On May 17, 2001, Smurthwaite House was
added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The first floor of the house is furnished in late Victorian style, thanks
to generous contributions by donors. Smurthwaite House serves as an
archival library for information regarding historic cemeteries throughout
Arizona and also as the headquarters for the non-profit Pioneers' Cemetery
For a tour of the Smurthwaite House, Pioneer & Military
Memorial Park, or for further information, please email email@example.com.